The Maintenance of Sepulcher and Cemetery Resources Board (Cemetery Board) was established under Article XX, Chapter 7.
The Cemetery Board is composed of five (5) members, who shall be qualified for appointment by having an interest or expertise and being familiar with the subject of enhancement and maintenance of City owned Sepulchers and Cemeteries. Members are appointed for 3-year terms.
The Board shall hold a regular business meeting at least three times a year. Additional meetings may be held when deemed necessary.
The current Cemetery Board has the following members:
Michael Shellman, Chairman
Steven Wells, Vice-Chairman
David Grellner, City Staff
Donald Beck, City Staff
Ralph Bray, Council Liaison
The Board members shall conduct physical on-site examinations of all City owned sepulchers and cemeteries to assure proper operation and maintenance thereof. They shall review any contracts for the maintenance of City owned sepulchers and cemeteries prior to such contract being submitted to the City Council or City Administrator for approval. The Board shall make recommendation as to rates and they shall hear any complaints regarding maintenance of the cemetery and shall make recommendations regarding resolution of any such complaint to the City Administrator. The Board shall make any recommendation for the maintenance or improvement of service, shall conduct fundraising activities which shall be dedicated to the maintenance of the City owned sepulchers and cemeteries, and they shall make an annual report to the City Council on their findings and activities.
The three City owned cemeteries are the (Old) City Cemetery, Woodland Cemetery, and Longview Cemetery.
(Old) City Cemetery is located at 1000 East McCarty Street and dates back to 1826. This property was set aside as a graveyard during the early days of Jefferson City and is bounded by Chestnut Street on the west, East McCarty Street on the north, East Miller Street on the south, and includes the Clark Mausoleum. This cemetery is not active with new burials but has a rich history of interesting residents of Jefferson City who are buried here.
Woodland Cemetery is located at 1022 East McCarty Street and dates back to 1837. This property was purchased at a State auction by Israel and Mary Reed, who laid out the cemetery and started selling burial lots and family plots. The cemetery is not active with the sale of grave spaces but is still being used by family members for burials in established family plots. This cemetery also has a section for the State of Missouri where many early State dignitaries are buried including Governor Marmaduke who died in office in 1887. This cemetery is also rich with history of many of the founding families of Jefferson City.
Longview Cemetery is located at 204 Scotts Station Road and dates back to 1922. This property was purchased by the City of Jefferson to continue as the City Cemetery when the (Old) City Cemetery became full. This cemetery is currently active with burials and is also rich with more recent history of Jefferson City. Grave spaces may be purchased from the City of Jefferson at 320 E. McCarty Street.
Records and additional information on these City owned and maintained cemeteries are available at the Department of Code Enforcement, City Municipal Buildng, 320 East McCarty Street. Calling ahead for an appointment is suggested.