City of Jefferson Calendar

Document Center

Online Payments

Accident Report powered by Carfax

Adopt a Pet

Street Closings

Employment Opportunities


Recycling Information

Universal Trash and Single Stream Recycling

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When does the new trash service start?

A: Monday, November 2, 2009 through Friday November 7, 2009.

Q. What is the cost of the large cart?
A. $15.34 per month.

Q: I don’t want to recycle, am I required to have two carts?

A: No.  If you call Allied they will pick up the recycling cart, however the cost will remain the same.

Q: What are the penalties for a residential owner not using the MANDATORY trash service?

A: $50 fine per offense.

Q: Who will enforce the trash service?

A: Allied will report violations and the City will prosecute through Municipal Court.

Q: I have limited income, can I get a price break on the cost for trash services?

A: Yes, if you qualify as a low income household you will receive a discounted residential rate of $13.50.  You must complete the request form and verify your household income.  Click here to view the Low Income "Green" request form.

Q: My home is vacant 6 months of the year when I travel; will I still be charged for trash service?

A: Contact Allied at (573) 635-8805 to have your service suspended. Note: Customer must be gone for a minimum 3-months consecutive to get service suspended.

Q: I am a bag user and do not generate much trash, will I be able to get a 35 gallon container for my trash?

A: If your household is 1 or 2 persons, you may request a small cart.  You need to complete a "Request for Small Cart (Low Volume) Residential City Trash Services".  Click here to view the Request for Small Cart "Yellow" request form

Q: I live in a duplex, can I share carts with my neighbor?

A: Yes.  However each unit will be billed for individual service.

Q: I live in a duplex, can I split the cost of service with my neighbor?

A: No.  Each unit will have to pay for individual service.

Q: I own a business, can I continue to take my household trash and put it in my commercial dumpster?  Will I have to pay twice?

A: Yes, All households are required to have residential trash service.

Q. What is the size of the large cart?
A. 65 Gallons

Q. What is the size of the small cart?
A. 35 Gallons

Q: Can I have a smaller cart if I am willing to buy the cart myself?

A: No.

Q: Can I have a smaller cart if I am willing to pay the larger fee?

A: Yes.  You will need to complete a Request for Small Cart Service and return it to the city.  (Please note that residents in other communities have not been totally satisfied with the small carts because they tip more easily.)  Click here to view the Request for Small Cart "Yellow" request form

Q: Who provides trash and recycling services in Jefferson City?

A: Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805

Q: Are there any exceptions to utilizing Allied Waste?

A: Allied must be used for residential trash service and curbside recycling.  Commercial businesses may use other companies for recycling.  This service does not prohibit you from taking your recyclables to any recycler.

Q: Is there a place in Jefferson City where I can “cash in” my aluminum cans and other commodities?

A: Currently New World Recycling operates a buy back center.

Q: What types of recyclables are collected at the curb?

A: Click here to see the Single Stream Recycling Guide.

Q: How do I get rid of bulky items?

A: There are two ways to deal with bulky items.  You can use the annual spring cleanup or call Allied at (573) 635-8805 to make special arrangements. (a cost for this service will be apply on the amount of the volume).

Q: What are the key rules for use of the wheeled cart?

A: Instructions are on the cart.

Q: What if my collection day falls on a holiday?

A: Service to all residential will be pushed back 1 day due to a Holiday. Example Monday Holiday. Monday residents would be picked up on Tuesday, Tuesday Residents would be moved to Wednesday, Wednesday moved to Thursday, Thursday to Friday and Friday to Saturday.

Q: Where do I place the wheeled cart on collection day?

A: For most people you will put the cart at the curb.  If there is a reason that this will be difficult you will need to submit a Request Special Consideration.  Click here to view the Special Consideration "Red" request form.

Q: How do I dispose of my household recyclables?

A: Click here to see the Single Stream Recycling Guide.  You might also want to view the video.

Q: How do I dispose of household hazardous waste such as paint and motor oil?

A: For information call (573) 634-6410 or learn more about local recycling facilities and various materials that can be recycled.

Q: What does the serial numbers stamped on the cart mean?

A: This number is used for Allied’s record keeping and tracking of cart system.

Q: What do the arrows stamped on the cart mean?

A: These arrows tell you which way to point your cart.

Q: What happens if my family moves?

A: Call Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805.

Q: What if the cart is stolen, damaged or destroyed?

A: Call Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805.

Q: How does a business or contractor arrange for dumpster or roll-off services for recycling, solid waste or construction and demolition?

A: Call Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805.

Q: How do I report a missed pickup/collection?

A:Call Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805.

Q: When is my garbage collection day?

A: Allied Route Pickup Map

Q: What can I do if I have too much garbage to fit in my container?

A: You can arrange for extra trash to be picked up on your normal pick-up day by notifying Allied prior to your collection day (the cost will be added to your invoice).  Allied Waste – (573) 635-8805.

Q: What materials are recyclable in Jefferson City?

A: Click here to see the Single Stream Recycling Guide.

Q: Where do our recyclables go?

A: Currently they are going to a recycling facility in St. Louis, however, Allied continues to negotiate with local recyclers.

Q: Where is the City’s Solid Waste Transfer Station?

A: It is located at 5645 Moreau River Access Road.

Q: Can I recycle plastic bags?

A: No, return plastic bags to grocery or departments stores.  Click here to see the Single Stream Recycling Guide.

Q: Can I use containers other than the carts provided by Allied?

A: No.

Q: Should I set my garbage cart out if it is not full?

A: Yes.

Q: I don’t need Allied to collect my garbage.  Do I have to set up service with Allied?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I leave my carts out on the street in between collection days?

A: No.

Q: When do I need to put my carts out for collection?

A: Allied begins running routes at 6:00 am.  Carts can be placed at the curb the night before your day of service.

Q: I cannot handle the cart and get it to the curb, what should I do?

A: You need to fill out the Request for Special Consideration.  Click Here to view Special Consideration "Red" request form.

Q: What if I can’t bring my carts to the curb?

A: You need to fill out the Request for Special Consideration.  Special Consideration "Red" request form.

Q: What do I do with syringes, hypodermic needles, and test strips?

A: Call Allied Waste at (573) 635-8805 for special instructions or the Cole County Health Department for correct disposal guidelines.

Q: What if I need to dispose of large amounts of garbage or recyclable materials such as construction and demolition debris?

A: Call Allied Waste at (573) 635-8805.

Q: Where will the new yard waste site be located?

A: 2417 Southridge Dr

Q: How do I dispose of my yard waste?

A: Drop  off your waste at 2417 Southridge Dr

Hours of operation are:
March 16- November 30
8 a.m.- 7 p.m. Monday-Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday

noon-5 p.m. Sunday

December 1-March 15

8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday

8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday

noon-5 p.m. Sunday

Holidays closed: Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day.

Waste accepted:limbs 6" diameter or less and in 4' or less lenghts, grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, and flocked Christmas trees

For more in formation call: 573-634-6410 or 573-634-6409

Q: Will there be a curbside yard waste collection available?

A: No

Q: What if I need to change my cart size later in the year because the small cart does not work for me?

A: You may "change out" the cart, but you will be required to pay an extra fee to Allied Waste.  Contact Allied Waste (573) 635-8805.

Q: What will happen if I don’t pay my bill?

A: If a person does not pay for the service, Allied will terminate the service.  Since the City ordinances require every residence to have service with an approved provider, failure to maintain service can result in a summons to appear in municipal court.  If convicted, the minimum fine will be $50.  Each month without service is a separate offense.  Failure to pay fines will be enforced in the usual manner and can include denial of city licenses and permits.

Q: I have a question/problem with my bill. Who do I contact?

A: Call Allied Waste at (573) 635-8805

Q: I own a house that is vacant.  Will Allied pick up the carts that were dropped off there? Can I close the account so I am not billed for trash service at a vacant house?

A: Yes. If you own a vacant house call Allied at (573)635-8805 to have them pick up the carts and send you a Vacant House form to fill out and return to them.

Q: I know of a house that is vacant and their carts are still at the curb and are never used, will Allied pick them up?

A: Please report this vacant house to Allied Waste at (573)635-8805. They cannot close the account from billing until the property owner of the vacant house fills out and returns to Allied the Vacant House form.

Q: I live in an apartment. How will I receive my trash and recycling services?

A: Ask your property manager. They will be the ones making arrangements with Allied Waste for trash services.

Q: When will Allied Waste pick up my old 95 gallon cart? Will they pick it up with trash in it?

A: Please empty your old 95 gallon carts so Allied can pick them up. Allied Waste will start picking up the old 95 gallon carts November 1st. If your old 95 gallon cart is not picked up by November 30th please contact Allied Waste at (573) 635-8805.

If you have any additional questions about Universal Trash and Recycling you can contact us by

clicking here and filling out the email form.

City Home | Employment | City Code | Departments | City Services | FAQ's | Special Interests | Employee Self Service| WebMail
© 2010 City of Jefferson, All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Site Map